13 February 2013

Twinkle, Twinkle little star...

Today has been eventful to say the least. Keian woke up at 1 am shivering, but wasn't showing evidence of fever at that time. Our day nurse came to check on Keian at 8 am, while he was still sleeping and noticed he was breathing fast. After taking his temperature, it read at 39 again.

We also got the results back from his cultures yesterday and he tested positive for a bacterial infection - klebsiella pneumonae, which is a serious infection of the blood. Unfortunately, this was the exact strain we were worried about. The positive thing is that they caught it early - they told us that had we not been in hospital, things would be much more serious at the moment.

Nurses and Doctors have been shuffling through here all day wearing yellow gowns, gloves and masks. I am certainly not complaining...I couldn't ask for better care. I know the Doctors are working hard to help Keian with this fight. They tell us it's very unlikely Keian will turn to septic shock, as they got the antibiotics into his blood stream quickly, but the next 3 days are the most critical. He's been without fever for the day, but spiked again at 8 pm. The plan is to take cultures everyday over the next 3 days in the hopes that they will not grow.

His counts still haven't recovered and he required the additional platelet transfusion today as they didn't feel he was stable enough to wait until tomorrow. Lucky number 16 transfusion?

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and although Keian will not be able to join in the parties that are happening upstairs, I know he'll have a good day! We'll make sure of that! He's requesting a turkey dinner tomorrow...a turkey in a little kitchen in an Oncology ward? Ha. I'll opt for a whole chicken, mashed potatoes and veggies...I don't think he'll realize it's a chicken, it's just a baby turkey, right?

He was asking for a snack before bed, but was having pain when swallowing the food. We've been told this is mucositis, which can get incredibly painful.

My little love he is. He asked me to rub his back tonight, so I sat on the edge of his bed while he talked to me about how much he loved it when I did that because my hands were so warm. It's something I've done since he was a little baby and it warms my heart just as much now, as the first time I held him in my arms. You'll always be my little sweetheart<3

"Never lose hope - when the sun goes down, the stars come out"

No comments:

Post a Comment